Wednesday 30 January 2013

First Week in Scotland!

A week ago today, we arrived in St. Andrews! A week ago (and a couple of days ago), I was curled up on a hotel bed in Edinburgh, absolutely bawling my eyes out because I didn't think I wanted a new home. I missed my family, pets and house itself. I am happy to say however, that I was completely wrong to be sad about being here. While Wisconsin is lovely, I have completely fallen in love with my new home for the semester.

St Andrews enchanted me from the moment we were in the outskirts of town, still in the Scottish countryside. The mist was rolling off the mountains into the valley, and there was a light sprinkling of snow on the ground. Then, when we were finally let off the bus, I took a deep breath, and the air smelled like the ocean and trees. I knew that studying abroad would be difficult, but that this place would make it worth it.

They say that the process of adjusting to a new university in a foreign country can be up and down, and that we should expect to feel some "distress" during it. Well, distress was one word to describe the way my friend (and roommate) and I felt upon walking into our new dorm room! The St Andrews University web site had pictures of University Hall on its website that were absolutely enchanting! I thought I was going to be living in Hogwarts! Uh, they completely "forgot" to picture the new addition to the hall. Our room, while okay, was nothing special. I've come to get used to it, and appreciate the small attached bathroom, but let me tell you, I still wish I were living in the "Hogwarts" section!

I have also met many other Americans (and a few people from other countries) studying abroad. While waiting in the foyer one day to go eat in the dining hall my friend (and roomy), Amber, and I saw a girl by herself. We got to talking and realized we were all English majors! So we have all become good friends, and often go to meals together, and hang out with each other in our free time. Many of the kids from the Butler study abroad program have also become friends. I haven't met that many Scottish kids yet, but I'm hoping that as the semester goes on, I will  make some Scottish friends!

Now, onto the food and drinks.(Mom, this part is for you..) Scotland actually has quite the variety of foods! I have eaten Japanese (mmmmmm) and Italian food here (again, yummyyyy), and I'm sure I will end up eating Indian food as well. Alsoooo, *insert drumroll*, I tried haggis! That's right, this vegetarian of five years broke her vegetarianism for sheep intestines? I blame Robert Burns's "Address to a Haggis" for this one. (please take the time to look this up if you have not heard it!) Anyways, I didn't really take a very big bite (breaking a diet you have adhered to for years is scary), so it didn't taste like much. But I definitely plan on eating at least a mouthful before I go. This little experiment also proved to me that, except for very special occasions, I will not be breaking my vegetarianism. It was really difficult to eat meat. It is just so foreign to me. I love my diet. I love tasting veggies, and herbs and all that good stuff! ANYWAYS...

The tea here is really exquisite. They are almost as obsessed with tea as I am! (okay, probably more..) I had fresh mint tea in an Italian restaurant that was made just with fresh mint leaves, and it was amazing! They also have great coffee and chai. They don't put a bunch of sugar or weird corn syrupy stuff in everything like they tend to back home. So coffee with milk and/or hot chocolate tastes real, not like someone dumped half a can of corn syrup in it! They also have this drink called the London Fog, which is earl grey with steamed milk and vanilla, that I really want to try.

The other thing about Scotland that is quite different from home, but that I really have to admit I like, is that the drinking age is lower! Now lest you call A.A. *cough*don'tdothisAdam*cough*, please note that I am not the type that enjoys partying or drinking in excess. But it is really nice to be able to order a beer or a glass of good red wine in a restaurant or pub and relax with friends. The attitude about alcohol here really seems to reflect my own: that it is totally fine to enjoy a drink or two once in awhile, but that going crazy and getting completely smashed and puking (or whatever), is disgusting. There is less of a taboo/obsession culture about drinking. And as someone who has known many people to go crazy with drinking to the point where I don't want to hang out with them anymore, this is so refreshing.

On that note, I think it is time for bed! I will talk about my classes and how much I am completely in love with them (but not the reading, nor Sir Walter Scott...sorry but ew.) next time! Hopefully I will post some pictures as well.




4 comments:

  1. Awww you are so mean to me... and I LIKE Sir Walter Scott!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Walter Scott is so stuffy though! and his depictions of Scotland are over romanticized....

      Delete
  2. Yahhhhhh, Elll! Way to start a blog' can't wait to read all about your adventures :) Love you, the other Elle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you and miss you! We must go running or get coffee at least or something when I'm back!

      Delete